Product Description Get in touch
April international - a French comprehensive medical insurance provider
The April Group is a French insurance company that was founded by Bruno Rousset and Xavier Coquard in 1988 as an insurance broker called April Assurances. It initially had fifteen employees. In 1997, the company went public with an IPO on the Paris Stock Exchange (Compartment A, SBF 120). In 1999, it established a subsidiary in Milan, Italy called April Italia (originally established under the name April SpA). In 2001, the April Group acquired London & European Title Insurance Services, a specialist in insurance contract design and management. The same year, it also established a German subsidiary called April Financial Services AG. In 2006, it created April Iberia in Madrid to develop and distribute individual protection products for the Spanish market.
In 2007, the April Group expanded into North America with the acquisition of Escape Travel Insurances in Canada. In 2008, it began developing the April Health network with plans to open 60 to 80 outlets, and it also acquired 100% of the share capital of online health insurance broker Medibroker. In 2018, the April Group celebrated its 30th anniversary and has continued to grow, operating in 31 countries and offering a range of specialist insurance solutions and assistance services to its customers. The company is headquartered in Lyon, France and is listed on Euronext Paris (Compartment B). In 2017, it reported a turnover of 928.4 million euros.
April International’s International Medical Insurance Solution
If you are planning to move abroad for work, to be with family, or for any other reason, it is important to consider the health and wellbeing of yourself and your family. One way to ensure that you have access to potentially lifesaving medical treatment and are protected against large treatment bills is to obtain international private medical insurance. APRIL International has been providing insurance services for over 30 years and has a reputation for making insurance easy and delivering a first-class insurance experience. These private medical insurance plans offer the protection you need when living or working abroad and can be tailored to meet your specific needs, no matter how complex the situation. With APRIL International, you can have peace of mind knowing that you and your family are protected.
Examples of medical costs in various locations
APRIL International provides coverage for medical emergencies and treatment costs no matter where you are located around the world. This can be especially important in cases where treatment costs may be higher than expected, such as for chemotherapy and radiotherapy in the UK, which can be particularly expensive in London. For example, April International have covered the full costs (USD 226,000) for a patient with colon cancer that had spread to their lungs. Similarly, the costs of treating hypertension can add up, especially if it requires multiple consultations, blood tests, and medication. In Tanzania, April International provided coverage for a patient who needed surgery and physiotherapy following a bicycle accident, at a cost of USD 8,355. April International plans also offer generous maternity benefits, such as coverage for emergency cesarean deliveries, as demonstrated by our coverage of up to USD 25,414 for a patient in Hong Kong.
General information about the insurance plans and April International
April International's insurance plan is designed for individuals, families, or couples who are working or living abroad. It is suitable for expatriates of any nationality and many local nationals around the world, with some exceptions due to local insurance regulations or exchange controls. If you are moving from one country to another, our plans provide continuous coverage. Our plans are available in GBP, USD, and EURO, and can be paid on an annual, quarterly, or monthly basis. In some countries, an additional Insurance Premium Tax may be applied to the premium. Our experienced staff will provide first-class support and care from your initial enquiry through to the management and renewal of your plan.
The plan documentation is designed to be simple, clear, and easy to understand, and upon enrollment, your membership documentation will be sent by secure email within 24 hours, with a membership ID card to follow by mail. April International's UK team, based in the City of London, has over 30 years of experience in providing international private medical insurance to people living and working around the world. We specialize in designing and delivering flexible insurance solutions and support customers of 90 different nationalities living in more than 110 countries around the world. The plans are underwritten by AXA XL Insurance Company UK Limited or AXA XL Underwriting Agencies Limited, both of which have received top financial strength ratings from major insurance rating agencies.
Design your April International medical Insurance plan
April International offer customizable plans to ensure you get the right coverage for your situation. Use the following steps to design your specific plan:
- Choose your destination country to determine your cover zone, which determines where healthcare benefits can be claimed. There are 6 cover zones available in the MyHealth International plan. In case of an accident or medical emergency during temporary stays of less than 90 consecutive days, benefits can be claimed worldwide except in excluded countries. You can also choose to extend your coverage to additional countries, which will be included in the zone of the chosen countries. These countries will be listed on the insurance certificate.
- Select the type of cover you prefer: cover from the first euro/US dollar spent, or cover as a top-up to the Caisse des Français de l'Étranger (CFE).
- Choose from 5 healthcare cover packages: Emergency (minimum healthcare cover in case of accident or medical emergency), Basic (entry-level cover of outpatient care and in case of emergency or accident), Essential (benefits covering essential day-to-day healthcare or in case of unforeseen events), Comfort (high-level cover of medical expenses in all situations), Premium (generous level of cover and high-end benefits).
- Add optional benefits to your healthcare package: with the Basic, Essential, Comfort, and Premium packages, you can choose to add the Outpatient benefit, Vision-Dental care, and Maternity benefit. Note that the Vision-Dental care and Maternity benefit cannot be purchased on a stand-alone basis and must be combined with Outpatient benefits. The Optical-Dental care and Maternity benefit can be purchased separately.
- Optional: Reduce your premiums by selecting an annual deductible (Euro/USD 500, Euro/USD 1,000, Euro/USD 2,500, or Euro/USD 5,000) and a reimbursement level (80% or 90% of actual costs) for Outpatient, Vision-Dental, and Maternity benefits. The Hospitalisation benefit is always covered at 100%.